You cannot say many things in this world with total confidence. But when it comes to ChatGPT, there’s no doubt: This communication and information-sharing platform is a true innovation, like the printing press, steam engine, electricity, and the Internet. At its core is a complex, complicated, and sophisticated language model generating humanized replies in the form of text.
Some may also say there are no drawbacks; ChatGPT only brings value. However, it’s crucial to pay attention to recently discovered platform-related risks, which, by all means, demand close attention. In this article, we’ll talk about ChatCPT, its real-world use cases, risks, and cybersecurity measures to implement to mitigate them.
Shortly on Chat GPT and How It Works
When the platform accepts any input, it launches a data processing mechanism by means of a composite neural network encompassing multiple layers of nodes that operate to 1) understand the received input and 2) deliver a reply. Does ChatGPT have knowledge?—No. All replies are generated based on the information that AI was trained on.
This model has many patterns that it learned while being trained. According to its developers, the platform has a huge storage space where it collects and stores large sets of data for its active training.
ChatGPT and Real-World Applications
Even though the technology is pretty young, the areas where it can be applied are multiple and sometimes very unexpected. Let’s focus on the main ones:
- Healthcare: The platform is highly valued by doctors, their assistants, and other healthcare specialists, who use it to quickly access reliable healthcare-related resources, medical advice, and information translated from other languages.
- Fintech & banking: There is more than one option for a financial platform to use ChatGPT. Chatbots and virtual assistants for customer support can handle FAQs, service proposals, fraud spotting, financial year planning, approval of loan applications, and language support for financial institutions operating across countries and languages.
- Content creation: Though lots of specific AI-detecting tools exist, many companies have already evaluated the benefits of ChatGPT’s language processing capabilities for generating content.
- Code debugging and refactoring: In both processes, ChatGPT increases efficiency, quickly finds possible issues, delivers accurate results, and reduces human errors.
- Interpreting complex notions: The platform makes use of specific ML algorithms and can give accurate information in a clear way.
Security Risks Concerns & Cybersecurity Measures
Back in spring 2023, an updated version of the platform was introduced. Its release was streamlined for security concerns voiced by multiple users: data theft, malware development, phishing emails, impersonation, spam, morality, ransomware, misinformation, business email compromise, etc. Thus, the active user community started looking at ChatGPT 4 vs 3.5, actively comparing both.
The OpenAI team implemented a wide list of data-handling practices and security measures to ensure their platform is safe. The following is what’s been done so far.
In terms of overall security. According to the company’s security page, the following actions have been implemented to ensure higher security levels.
- encryption at rest and in transit;
- diverse access control techniques that make sure no unauthorized user cannot obtain sensitive data;
- outside audits occasionally performed by 3rd parties to identify system issues and timely address them;
- the Bug Bounty Program that allows tech enthusiasts and diverse area researchers to find vulnerabilities and report them;
- incident response plans to eliminate the effects of any breaches and ensure their quick settlement.
In terms of data handling security. They are regularly working on ways to bolster that platform’s ability to process a user’s natural language. For this, they introduced the following measures:
- transparency concerning the reasons for data collecting;
- transparency concerning the reasons for data storage and retention;
- transparency concerning the reasons for data sharing;
- compliance with regulations.
According to a new report by Statista, the new version of ChatGPT decreases the reply rate for prohibited material by 82% and malevolent content by 89%. Moreover, the platform has introduced major improvements, like multiple transportation modes, more words, better precision, peak-hour availability, faster replies, better creativity, and multi-language support.
OpenAI is committed not only to developing a high-quality product. They are also committed to developing a product that doesn’t make users feel vulnerable or unprotected. ChatGPT 4, for now, alongside future versions, will undoubtedly raise more questions and concerns, as everything new and unknown always does. But as long as their developers are open about the measures they take to make these versions safe and reliable, they can be trusted and used for the greater good.