Businesses deal with different software documents every day. They contain sensitive information that involves various business transactions, processes, and systems. Hence, it’s crucial to ensure data security when managing software documentation.
What Is Software Documentation?
Software documentation refers to written text or graphic illustration embedded in the computer software or source code. The two categories of software documentation are:
- Process Documentation: It represents all documents during process development and maintenance such as project plans, standards, reports, meeting notes, test schedules, and business correspondence.
- Product Documentation: This software documentation includes system documentation that describes the system such as requirements documents, architecture descriptions, help guides, design decisions, and program source code. Product documentation also includes user documentation like tutorials, troubleshooting manuals, user guides, installation manuals, and reference manuals.
5 Ways To Ensure Data Security In Software Documentation
Data security is crucial in software documentation from the development phase to document launching. So, how do you ensure data security in software documentation?
Below are some of the best ways to ensure data security in software documentation.
- Use Online Faxing
With electronic or online faxing, you can send and receive software documentation files via your email using your smartphone. Online faxing can benefit your small business or large company. It’s paperless faxing which is very convenient to use.
One of the major advantages of online faxing is data security. Enhance data security with encrypted data and high-speed transmission using online faxing. Unlike paper fax, the information you receive or send through using an online fax are stored in the cloud, eliminating the risk of missing or lost files in traditional faxing.
In addition, you can convert files into fax-accepted format like PDF, so you can fax data to the receiver seamlessly. When you receive fax software documentation, like user manuals or project plans, to your e-fax number, your email inbox receives a file attachment. You can open, print, forward, and save the fax attachment.
- Check And Update Security Settings
Whenever you’re installing new software, it’s crucial to check security settings, which also applies in software documentation. Whatever type of software program you’re using in creating and managing software documentation, you need to make sure to always check and update its security settings.
- Keep Documentation Up-to-date
Keep your software documentation up-to-date because they may lose their value over time. You have to remember that requirements may change in software development. Therefore, you need to ensure an up-to-date systematic documentation using an automatic version control in managing this process efficiently.
- Embrace A Collaborative Agile Approach
Implement an agile collaborative approach when creating your software documentation. You need to interview experienced testers and programmers to ensure efficiency and optimum software functionalities.
After writing your software documentation, you can share the draft with your team to obtain their feedback. Encourage your team members to ask questions, comment, and share their thoughts. Your team members can contribute to secure the software documents you produce.
The data security of your software documentation should be highly secure. By embracing a collaborative agile approach in software documentation development, you can make yours more organized, well managed, and accessible for utmost productivity and greater business value.
Here are the characteristics of an agile data security approach you can apply to software documentation:
- It’s important to understand your software documentation, including how to use it.
- Take a visual representation of your documentation data lineage.
- Create metadata information for proper classification of information.
- Determine your data security strengths and weaknesses.
- Review your software documentation’s existing security model design.
- Select the most effective and appropriate access levels and tools.
- Write Enough Documentation
When you’re creating and managing software documentation, you need to avoid doing it excessively. Excessive documentation may result to poor documentation. When this happens, many errors can occur, reducing the efficiency of a software product development.
You don’t need to provide abundant documentation. Avoid repeating information in multiple papers. You just need to document relevant and necessary information. Before software documentation development starts, analyze the complexity of the project to find the right documentation balance.
You can hire a trustworthy technical writer to draft your software documentation. Before hiring one, make sure to check the background and experience of the technical writer to avoid data leakage to your competitors.
There are many ways to ensure data security in software documentation by using secure online tools such as online faxing to send and receive fax via email using your mobile devices. It’s important to provide only the necessary information in your software documentation and keep the setting in check at all times to ensure data security.